A Buncha NunSense

Friday, October 10, 2008

TRIP TO MONGU

just returned from my bus trip to Mongu. I went to the Zambia immigration office to get my visa renewed. They let me renew it for two months so I don't have to travel again for that task until December. The electricity was out yesterday afternoon in Mongu (just like Kaoma) so the immigration officer couldn't photo copy my passport. We had to make a copy of it and run it back after the electricity came back on...an example of life in Zambia!

Living at the Presentation Sisters' home in Mongu are two sisters from Ireland, one from India, and one native Zambian. The main ministry of the sisters in Mongue is running the Cheshire Children's home for physically disabled children. The children are usually recovering from limb surgeries and are receiving physical therapy and schooling. After going to the immigration office Sr. Cathy and I took a little boy down to the market to buy some shoes. He had a very bad limp and needed shoes so he could wear a splint on his leg. His eyes were wide as he got to ride up front in the pickup with Sr. Cathy and myself! The boy went to the market wearing no shoes and held his new pair on his lap all the way home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home