A Buncha NunSense

Monday, October 6, 2008

A MORNING AT THE ORPHANAGE

enjoyed a wild morning at the orphanage today! The children come running as soon as they see me come into the yard. All morning I had at least ten little ones hanging on my back...sitting on my lap...and holding on to my arms and legs. The temperatures are very hot right now and it's even hotter when you're covered in tiny little bodies! Two little boys fell asleep on my lap even amidst all the chaos.

Since my white skin is so different from theirs they constantly love to rub my face and arms...and play with my hair. One sweet little boy was walking around wearing bibs and the hooks were missing, so he was constantly having to hold up his pants. Sr. Vianney saw this and had one of the caretakers get him a different pair of shorts. She said in her Irish accent, "the poor boy shouldn't have to be holding up his pants"...ha!

Sr. Vianney just returned to Africa after several months in Ireland and the children were so happy to see her return. She spent much of her vacation raising money for the orphange. It is hard to get the funding to care for the many babies that keep coming. A number of the babies are in the hospital right now due to sickness from the heat here.

The children are so happy and loving that you can't help but fall in love with each one of them! I hope to post some pictures of them when I get back to Lusaka later this month.

1 Comments:

  • SISTER DEB,
    YOU ARE A SAINT! I READ WITH INTEREST YOUR BLOG. I FEEL SO SORRY FOR THOSE CHILDREN THERE AND TO THINK OF ALL WE HAVE IN THE US.
    WE SHOULD NEVER COMPLAIN.

    I KNOW THE CHILDREN LOVE YOU AND THE ATTENTION YOU GIVE THEM WHICH THEY PROBABLY DON'T GET MUCH OF.

    GOD BLESS YOU FOR THE GOOD WORK YOU AND THE REST OF THE SISTERS ARE DOING. DO MISS YOU! MAGGIE

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 6, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home